Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Food for thought...

Boy, how time flies when you are busy. Just one year ago, my buddy from work took the big leap to go upgrade himself full time. Today, I had lunch with him and he is graduating already.
One year has gone by just like that!

We have chatted on a lot of things on many fronts. And the one thing we share in common? We believe we could do more with our lives than just accepting the fact that we are in a comfortable job with a steady income.

He took the additional step to work towards his dream. Me? Well, I am still comfortable where I am and griping about how much more I want.
I am working towards following his foot steps. Maybe not the exact path he took, but the journey he took. The journey towards a better life.

All those many chats with him, has made me question my motivation in life.
What do I want to do with my life?
Am I satisfied with my current situation?
Am I able to achieve more?
What do I want to achieve then?
How am I going to achieve it?

Today, we met up again after a good few months of not chatting with each other. And again, he prodded my brain into a thinking mode. OH... the groan of the mechanics and gears churning inside my head due to long periods of unused. But he got me thinking!

We touched on the topic of friends. And how they affect me and my life. It was really some food for thought.
During our conversations, he was saying, my current group of friends are in the same position that I am. Always griping about why they cannot do better than they currently are. And then sitting down and enjoying the comforts of the position that they are currently in and not doing anything about it.
Saying how always mixing with this group of people, their vibes will rub off on me.
Then something in my mind went off! Some thing about the laws of attraction.
"Birds of a feather, flock together!". Like attract like. What I think and what I do reflects to the world and I attracted back the same things I think of!

Here I am, always griping that I am not doing enough. And then I get going, but I am stuck at a road block. I am stuck at how to make that first steps towards getting out of my comfort zone to fight for something better.
A vicious cycle I am trapping myself in! This is not right! I must do something about it!

So his advise to me is to expand my network. Make new friends who have the fire in their belly. People who hunger for more than what a comfortable life with a steady job and a stable pay could offer. Mix with them and try to let their vibes of hunger rub off on me.

And it got me thinking, is it that easy to do it?
How can I do it?
What can I do to make it happen?

"Joining seminars is one way. There are plenty of entreprenure seminars that are free to join. Sign up for them and see what it can do for you.", he said, "The other is to try and meet up with more like minded people online."

In a way, I am grateful to have met this buddy of mine. A man who is younger than me, but have the wisdom of someone much much older than me.
He was saying this to me repeatedly. And with my recent thoughts of expanding my network, his advise is timely. I never thought about going to seminars to meet people before. I may just put his advise to work.

So here goes, my attempt to take that first step towards expanding my circle of friends.
Wish me luck!!
posted by GnM at 9:36 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home